Wednesday 31 July 2019

Kingfisher hunting and geocaching

Wednesday 31st July
Dull start, but at least it is dry, only walked up to the pool, the four humbugs are doing really well also spotted and photographed quite a few hovers.

Also tried my hand at Geocaching, just google it if you don't now what it is, basically someone has hidden something and you do your best to try and find it, when found you log it on the geocaching site, good news is that I found one this morning at my first attempt.
Looks a very popular pastime.

My first geocache find




Eupeodes corollae (another first for me)











Tuesday 30th July
A walkabout early on and all was very quiet, the humbugs were all over the pool diving and getting to know the pool, three were always close to each other and the other one was happy to wander all over the pool on his own.
No sign of the heron, but someone was fishing in his favourite spot.
Home for breakfast and then the rain started.


Monday July 29th

Sunny and very nice day, had a walk over the fields but not many hovers around, but saw quite a few along the dam wall at Captain's including Syritta pipiens which is my 40th variety around Spennells.
Spotted Kingfisher just before lunch and again late evening, I know now of 3 spots where they fly to and I live in hope that one day I will get a shot.




Ectemnius



Syritta pipiens


Ectemnius



Sunday July 28th
Really dull start, managed a walk round Captain's early on in the hope of seeing the Kingfisher, but not to be, did see the heron and also the four Great Crested Grebe chicks which were swimming around quite happily by the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hoverflies

 The weekend of 14/15th May 2022. Sorry I've been neglecting my blog again, health issues keep getting in the way, so for now am working...