Sunday 22 July 2018

a FIRST for Spennells

Thursday 19th July

Well another hot and sunny day with no end to it in sight, today I just didn't feel like a long walk round Spennells, so I decided to pay my first visit to Trench Wood which is just outside Droitwich.
What an amazing place, butterflies and dragonflies everywhere, the first two butterflies I saw were Purple Hairstreaks, lots of fritillaries, white admirals, skippers amd more.

Silver Washed Fritilliary

Male purple hairstreak

On return home I popped along the Cloisters which is my favourite place for insects, spotted this Mint moth, did see Brown Argus, common whites, couple purple hairstreaks and the usual million whites.

Saturday 21st July
A walk along the Cloisters, blooming warm again, met someone who was looking for adders, best of luck I told him as I don't know of anyone who has seen one around Spennells, the only snake I have seen is on the pool.

Nursery Web Spider

Icheumon Wasp

Southern Hawker at rest by the Pool.

Quick walk down to the 3 pools and was very surprised to see this Emerald Damselfly, I double checked the ID with Jason and he confirmed it and also told me that he thinks it is a first for Spennells, so very pleased to have spotted a first for the site.


Sunday 22nd July
Warm start again, so a quick visit to the 3 pools, but no sign of any Emeralds this morning, lots of blue-tails about and too many to count common blue butterflies, just want to get back to normal weather now as it's just too hot to stay out very long. The forecast is for it to get hotter again, phew!

4 images of the blue-tail damselfly and 1 of a common Crane fly.





Still playing with Affinity Photo, photos of the moon, fox and an infrared image, images all taken by myself and merged together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hoverflies

 The weekend of 14/15th May 2022. Sorry I've been neglecting my blog again, health issues keep getting in the way, so for now am working...