Tuesday 19 March 2019

Nuthatch, Jays and a terrapin

Tuesday March 19th

Yet another dull day, but was a tad warmer, my usual walkabout revealed, not a lot.
Still only one GC Grebe on the pool, the female has been missing now since Sunday evening.
Met up with Jason in the afternoon and heard a Chiff-chaff in the nature reserve.

I did see my first Terrapin of the year at Captain's Pool, but it was only visible for a few minutes, seems a of these creatures were released into the pool some years ago, presumable unwanted pets.

Nuthatch

Terrapin

Coming in to land

My portable hide

Jay


Monday March 18th

Dull but dry start, did my usual walkabout, saw a couple of active Jays, treecreepers and Nuthatches, Nuthatch still working on the nest and was very active for an hour or so.
Saw Heron flying away from the three pools as I arrived.
Mainly just the usual suspects again, Stanklyn Lane very quiet again but did spot a couple of Mistle thrushes.

Only one GC Grebe still on Captain's, the poor male crying out for a mate for most of the time I was there, must admit I have no idea what's happening.

Treecreeper exploring

Jay



Nuthatch at the nest



Sunday March 17th

Was almost a frost this morning which is a complete turnaround from the past week, wind had dies down a lot.
Early walkabout covered the 3 pools area and the reserves, lots of birds calling, nuthatches and treecreepers were obvious all over the reserves.
Nuthatch working on it's nest again but I'm not getting too close as I don't want to disturb them.
Captain's Pool was quiet but then it always is when it's being fished, only one GC Grebe this morning, I looked everywhere but couldn't see the female, the poor male was calling out all the time I was there, one buzzard flew overhead and lots of small birds were in the area.

Few shots of the nuthatch.





Jay

Robin getting a bit friendly

Treecreeper.

Buzzard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hoverflies

 The weekend of 14/15th May 2022. Sorry I've been neglecting my blog again, health issues keep getting in the way, so for now am working...