Monday 22 January 2018

Skylarks and some moss

Well at least we had a dry day and a couple of nice sunny spells, sods law though a week off work and the weather goes poor, just like last time.
I started off with a walk down by the stream near the playing fields, hoping to see a kingfisher, but didn't see one, walked down the one side of the stream and back the other side along the walkways, no sign either along Spennells Valley Road, I have seen the kingfishers here before but always on the wing.
Only had the small Olympus 4/3 camera with me as I so wanted to try it out, will take some getting used to with it being so small, poor lighting, but think it will be okay.
Bit mucky over the fields as you can see here at the three pools.

A stroll over the road to the golf course, surprised to see them playing as the ground was so soft and mucky, best part of this walk was finding some nice mossy branches.

A walk to Captains and that was quiet, I put some nuts down in the Cloisters and the jays were there in minutes, shame that the light had gone dull.

A stroll then along the cloisters and the Captain's stubble field, lots of small birds around, chaffinches and goldfinches mainly, then all of a sudden the small birds flew off in a hurry and as I looked up I saw three skylarks hovering above the field.
Thanks Jason for the ID.

 Back down the carrot field and home for lunch.
Spotted several Long Tail Tits on the walk home, love these birds.


Not very bright after lunch but I decided on another walkabout, put some more nuts in the Cloister's and then up to Edna's Tomb, put a little bit of seed down and had a walk around the corn fields, on then to Stonechats Lane, no sign of the chats in the dead man's allotment, spent a while there but no movement, back down the lane and there were plenty of redwings and fieldfare around.
 With the light so dull I decided to try out one of the mossy branches from the golf course, look forward to trying on a better day.



With the sun vanishing and starting to feel colder I decided to call it a day, had to take a shot of the suns rays, pity I hadn't got the smaller camera with me, all I had was the big lens and I forgot to drop the ISO down.
This view looking toward the Abberley Hills is my favourite view around the fields.
Good news is that the food I put down yesterday had all been taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hoverflies

 The weekend of 14/15th May 2022. Sorry I've been neglecting my blog again, health issues keep getting in the way, so for now am working...